Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ask Robert: #1

Over the years I have participated in several teacher workshops and online discussion groups.  Many questions have been thrown my way and I attempted to toss an answer back!  This "Ask Robert" segment will be an on-going feature for this blog.  I never claim to have the only answer or even the best one, but offer responses as suggestions based on my own experiences teaching kids to write.  If you have any questions stirred up by the ideas I post on this blog, please feel free to post them!  I'd like this blog to be interactive!

Here is Q/A #1:  Do ALL the kids in your class share on Friday Share Day?


Robert Says:  This is a great question! In fourth grade, early in the year, our pieces are not all that lengthy, so we can get through the whole class during a normal Writing Workshop time. As the year goes along, and stories are becoming more well-developed, I 
do a variety of things.  

Sometimes we have everyone share, but only the odds (by ID#) receive peer feedback), then the next week the evens get peer feedback. I made a point to give feedback to everyone though. For those who do not get verbal feedback I try to give them a bit more written feedback.

Sometimes, if time gets short, you can have them break into their writing teams and have them share their pieces in small groups.

If you have access to a parent or para or an adult you can train as a volunteer, you can split the class in half and share. You would meet with each group every other week while the other adult takes the other half.

Another way to save time late in the year is to have everyone give written feedback.  I have a variety of quick, short formats to make it relatively easy for kids to do.   
I pass out little slips that say things like....

I am wondering......   
You might try.........    
For voice, I would rate this a 5-4-3-2-1 because.........

Or whatever means of feedback you want them to focus on. That way the kids are hearing stories and getting written feedback to use for revising, but it does not take as much time as listening to four or five kids give verbal feedback.

Does this help?  Every class's schedule is unique, so a one size fits all explanation will rarely work, but at least I hope to have shared a few ideas you can tweak to fit your situation!




No comments:

Post a Comment