Thursday, October 7, 2010

You Might Try...

This is an easy way to teach kids to give one another feedback and keep it positive and constructive.  The ultimate goal is for kids to do this without any kind of frame to work from, but to introduce this kind of feedback I sometimes used little strips of paper that had the Sentence Starter "You Might Try..."  Each child would get maybe 3-5 of these when we were going to have a share time.  The child sharing could call on anyone he/she wanted feedback from unless they had already run out of strips.  This way they call on peers they trust to be supportive.  I also sometimes would have the young author choose two and I would reserve the right to call for feedback from two or three peers myself.  This kept the kids on their toes and helped them be better active listeners in case they were called on for feedback. Of course, I transitioned off the written slips ASAP once I felt comfortable the kids were a fully functioning, supportive writing community!

No comments:

Post a Comment